The new iOS 6 has a very simple and powerful tool called Guided Access that lets you keep students focused on a single app of your choosing. It lets you disable the home button, restrict parts of the screen so they can’t be touched, and even stop responding to being turned over and upside down. It’s easy to implement and a great tool in the teacher’s toolkit. Here’s how to do it:
How To Use Guided Access
- Go to SETTINGS then tap GENERAL
- Toward the bottom, tap ACCESSIBILITY and then go to the LEARNING section
- Now tap on GUIDED ACCESS and switch it to the ON position
- Want to set up a passcode? You can do that now
- Now go to the app you want to use. Tap the home button 3 times to launch the Guided Access options
- Set the options as desired and then tap the home button 3 times again.